News & Events
August 04th, 2014 Sao Paulo, Brazil
ABTA is the Portuguese-language acronym for the Brazilian Pay TV/Telecom Association. It was founded in 1989 to represent distributors, programmers and suppliers dedicated to conditional-access communications services. Its mission is to defend the industry’s interests, foster its development and represent its members in relations with the regulatory authorities.
Since 2006 the number of pay-TV subscribers in Brazil has risen 23.4% per year on average, with growth reaching close to 30% per year between 2010 and 2012. Last year, despite very low GDP growth of only about 2%, the pay-TV market expanded no less than 11.31% and the subscriber base reached 18 million homes.
Considering an average of 3.2 people per home (according to IBGE), pay-TV services are delivered to approximately 57.66 million Brazilians. This corresponds to a pay-TV penetration rate of 28.42 out of every 100 homes in the country.
Among pay-TV transmission technologies, the satellite or direct-to-home (DTH) system has a market share of about 62%. The remaining 38% access the service via cable.
ABTA Expo & Conference 2014, which takes place on August 5-7 in São Paulo, has issued its annual call for speakers. Details can be found on the ABTA 2014 hotsite (abta2014.com.br). Proposals can be submitted until June 13. Those selected will be presented as case studies during the ABTA Conference and Pay-TV Seminars (STA).